Saturday, September 28, 2013

Bruce Peninsula

Tobermory is land's end; the Bruce Peninsula is at the brink of a great sea. In the park and walking out toward Georgian Bay with anticipation, then reaching it as the sun came up, christened my long drive. It refocused me on this great continental land mass, and reignited my relationship with geology and the natural world. 
Lucky I am.

I caught myself searching for the large sea mammals we have seen at Tadoussac, Gaspesie, Maine, Cape Cod, Long Island, Florida, Iceland. Remember then: this is an inland lake! 

Farther down are pictures of the ferry M. S. Chi-Cheemaun to Manitoulin Island where I resume my drive, next to Sault Ste. Marie. The front of the boat rises up to permit cars and full size trucks aboard. The sequence shows that door pivoting back into place as we get underway. It's a huge boat that runs April to October. The winter storms up here are horrific. 













for scale: note the full-sized flag



1 comment:

  1. Splendid shots!

    It's been some years since I was up that way, but the peninsula's always been tremendously appealing to me. And yes, the winter storms out in that area can be horrendous.

    ReplyDelete